Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Im Back Baby!

Well, I have been back from Panama for a few days now. As my trip was grueling and trying to say the least, I still feel it was rather productive. As always when I go down south to Panama, I get the opportunity to stay with my uncle Don. For those of you who dont know uncle Don, I will do my best to paint a picture of him. To start, He is a genius, when it comes to law and land title history. I dont know anyone with the type of mind conditioning to be able to do what he does. Instead of A Database with finca (parcel) numbers and Land title history, or even a file system containing maps and court documents etc..., he has all this stored in his head. Im talking hundreds and hundreds of cases, motions, purchases, sales, history going back over 100 years in some cases, all in his head. Now for the record, he does have file folders that these things are kept in, but they are all over the place, in different rooms, stacks and all kinds of places, yet if he needed a particular document, he'd find it in 5 seconds. Of course, a guy like this has his quirks. He refuses to stay up after 8pm. He wakes up at the crack of dawn (3 am) and starts his day. He does alot of work at the public registry and archives building in Panama City so he strategically places himself right across the street in a little asian restaurant, where he has 4 or 5 little runners fetching documents, noterizing documents and making copies. He will slip them a $5 bill or $10 bill here and there, and he will buy the secretaries breakfast every morning, just so he can have his people on the inside. Its quite the sight to see. Here is a picture of his "office". You can notice the files sitting on the table as his watcher takes care of watching his car and his papers for which he is compensated a dollar or two. He is an interesting character to say the least. He has worked extremely hard on these land title aquisitions for many years and hopefully he sees the fruits of his labors.



I also had the opportunity to go look at a couple properties with him and Mark, who came down for a few days. We drove for about an hour and a half to a little town called Lagarterita. I fell asleep on the way of course, just like i always do while riding in a car in Panama. The humidity and the air blowing through the windows puts me right to sleep everytime. As we pulled up to this lake property, Uncle Don said he was going to round up a boat for us to go around the lake in. People would think I was telling stories if I explained what pulled into the dock for us to "ride" in. Thats why I took a picture of it. this thing looked like it was 100 years old and ready to fall apart. as it pulled up, there was a girl with a bucket throwing water out of the boat. I said to my Uncle.."You dont expect ME to get in THAT...do you?" He replied "Sure..this thing is the real deal..you'll be fine." I acted like i wasnt nervous and i got in. I know i am a good swimmer. I got in and as soon as I entered, water started leaking from the bottom. I manned the bucket for a bit then traded to the Panamanian girl as I was more confident we would be ok. We saw the most beautiful sites on that lake. Its an Experience that Mark and I both agree that everyone should experience but few actually get to do. I took a picture of my Uncle Don and one of Mark and I, and a couple of the Islands and Lake properties. This would be an awesome place to have a little private casita to get away from everything. Also, The driver of the boat said he catches 100 fish in an hour on this lake.



It was an interesting trip. I also got a chance to go visit the new Temple that was completed the week I was there and the open house was going on so I took the tour. It is a beautiful Temple and I can't wait to go through it after it is dedicated. I had the privelidge of walking through with my couzin Brent and his family and my couzin Mark. I took a couple pictures of the outside but here is a link to the vertual tour provided by the Church. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biooD7GY5Y .





The building below, is the home of the Temple President who I met and also the missionary quarters and Apartments for when the General Authorities come to visit. I heard that President Monson is coming down to Panama for the Temple Dedication on Aug 10th 2008. My couzin Brent who is the Stake President in the City has the privelidge of having his wife cooking for President Monson and their family is attending the dedication from inside the Temple.



Last but not least, I was riding in the SUV with Brent and we stopped to look at the sloth that was hanging on the fence by his house. He says he sees them all the time. I had to take his (or Her) picture.

All in all it was eventful and some fun. I am now getting ready to get back on a plane and fly to Utah, then drive to Wyoming to meet up with my family for some camping.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Not sure if you remember me, Greg McCown's wife. Anywho...Panama... are you ready to move there..Greg sure is, maybe sometime soon! Love reading your blog..need more pics!

Elizabeth said...

Looks like a lot of fun!! :)