Sunday, August 24, 2008

Missouri....did he say MISSOURI?


Well, I have made a decision, after some prayerful consideration, to pack up my gear and move to Independence Missouri, and do....What is it I'm doing?...oh yes...Scrap Metal. That's right...SCRAP METAL. My cousin John has been doing a scrap business aside from his normal job at the plant he manages, and we have spoken about the possibilities, and I decided that we could have some success together. This will be a big move for my family and I and i will still continue to work on my Panama deals, but, for the time being, I will be doing something that i consider to be completely out of my character and out of my realm of expertise, and out of my comfort zone as far as cold weather is concerned. I am an Arizona boy who busts out his heavy jacket when it drops down to 35 degrees. Now I hear it will be snowy and icy, which I will NOT be used to. I have had a few conversations with my older cousin regarding Life and things in general and we both agree that this life needs to be experienced. I feel somewhat rejuvenated, knowing I will be facing new challenges and new relationships in the church and work etc, without the comfort of what I feel is huge network of support from family and friends in Arizona. I'm leaving it all behind. I have cherished my network of contacts over the years. I have have nurtured and groomed my relationships. I have developed connections in every line of work, where if I needed something done, i knew the right person for the job, even to the point where people call me, knowing i have those connections. Now...I will have my cousin, and the church members..and....uh....that sums it up. I may not make it rich or my problems may not go away with this move, but it will be a change that my wife and I feel has been needed in our lives. My kids will experience the four seasons as they are meant to be experienced, rather than the 10 months of summer and 2 months of mild winter as Arizona is. They will get to visit historic sights where Joseph smith made his mark back in the 1800s. They will be in a place where the signs are not in English and Spanish, but just English. They will make new friends and spend time with cousins that they have not gotten to know. This is both exciting and nerve racking, but I am up for the challenge. I love it here in Missouri, and I look forward to working with my cousin John as I have always admired and respected him since i was coming up as a kid. He continues to be a good example to me and if he can learn to put up with my slow driving, and laid back attitude, I can put up with his quirks, especially how he hates driving with the windows down...crazy huh? I will take some pictures as things progress here. Oh and by the way, John lives 10 minutes away from the Kansas city Royals and Chiefs stadium. I went to my first Royals game yesterday with John, and they lost to the Detroit Tigers, but it was nice to see other folks wearing the blue and white for once. I am very excited about being near the team I have loved since I was a kid. It is also cool to tell people that I was born out here in Wichita. I saw the stadium that my dad kicked field goals in while my mom was pregnant with me. I feel very at home here and I am ready to see my family as they are waiting for me to bring them here.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

We are going to miss you guys :(. The boys are going to be really sad too once we break the news :(. We're glad you get this opportunity though :) Just know you will definately be missed. Good thing we all have these blogs huh? LOL :)

Steven and Mindy Raisor said...

We are sure going to miss you guys! Change sure is in the air. Ours isn't nearly as big as yours though. Good luck with the move

Steph Weaver said...

Hey Tom...It has been almost a year since we left our comfort home in AZ, but have grown to love Cali. It has been a huge challenge and blessing at the same time. You will learn to depend on each other and the church rather than family. It has been so great to meet people and see life outside AZ. It is a big world and as much as I didn't want to move, I am glad I did and I actually want to do it again! I am sure you will adjust, give yourselve's a little time. The snow sound's fun and the season's would be so nice! Take care and keep us posted. Good luck with the job too!

Steph